The mechanic position is responsible to trouble shoot, repair and perform preventative maintenance on all types of vehicles and/or equipment and hand tools. Repairs shall be made in a safe, cost effective and time efficient manner. The mechanic must have practical knowledge of machinery and tools. The mechanic must have solid judgment and a good understanding of the possible consequences of the work they perform, and understand when to consult with the lead mechanic.
- Comply with established company safety and operating rules, procedures, and guidelines; and be responsible for reporting un-safe practices to your supervisor.
- Work along with lead mechanic and operations manager to prioritize and delegate workload to accomplish daily and weekly assignments.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment to protect oneself and others in accordance with all department guidelines and all applicable company safety rules.
- Must be able to operate all types of vehicles, equipment and tools.
- Must be able to perform minor and major repairs on all types of equipment, including but not limited to, all vehicles, trailers, power operated equipment as well as hand tools.
- Will be responsible for maintaining accurate records of time and parts used on specific work order tasks.
- Perform all other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor.
Must have thorough knowledge and experience with but not limited to:
- Hydraulic systems, gas engines, diesel engines, electrical systems, drive trains and various hand tools.
- Must have basic typing and writing skills.
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Must have the knowledge and ability to prioritize job tasks.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must pursue personal development opportunities and is committed to staying current within field of work.
- Must support teamwork by participating, cooperating, and communicating with co-workers.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with customers and co-workers by providing accurate, meaningful, courteous and timely responses to their questions or concerns.
- Regular and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Variations to the work schedule need to receive the supervisor’s approval.
- Must travel to any location to do work in varying weather conditions, and be able to work outside or inside.
- Must be available to work before or after regularly scheduled work hours.
- Must be agreeable to working other than regular hours on a fixed or rotating basis.
- Employee may also be required to handle and perform work safely and efficiently through stressful situations.
This position requires a High School diploma or its equivalent. A two-year degree in heavy truck mechanics at the vocational level is desired but not required. A minimum of five years of experience may be substituted for the vocational school requirement. Specific mechanic certifications may be required and/or desired.
- On a frequent basis pushing and pulling movements and or torque movements up to 125lbs are required to perform work
- Twisting, rotating from the hips, shoulders and neck is required thru the day.
- Finger dexterity to handle bolts and screws, fit parts, align pieces and manipulate tools is required all day
- 60-100% of the time standing or walking is required to complete work
- Good eyesight and hearing is essential to read charts, manuals, and other documents and to view work
- On a consistent basis throughout the day kneeling, stooping and bending will be required.